Teething is an important developmental milestone in a baby’s life but it can also be a challenging time for both parents and their little ones. Babies may feel pain and irritation as those tiny teeth begin to emerge. In order to help your infant navigate this phase with ease. In this article, we will explore some expert tips and tricks for parents to manage teething relief for your baby and make it an easier and more comfortable experience for their children.
- When Do Babies Start Teething?
- Understanding The Teething Process
- How Long Does The Teething Process Last?
- Sign Of a Teething Baby
- Best Teething Relief Strategies
- Massage Techniques For Teething Babies
- Using Teething Tablets Safely
- How To Manage Fever During Teething?
- How To Manage Excessive Drooling During Teething?
When Do Babies Start Teething?
Most babies begin teething around six months of age but it can differ from baby to baby. Some might begin sooner, while others might begin a little later.
Understanding The Teething Process
Teething normally begins around six months of age when the baby’s first tooth starts to erupt. Until babies have a full set of primary teeth this process continues, which is typically around the age of three. Babies might feel painful and swollen gums at this time, which could make them irritable and uncomfortable.
How Long Does The Teething Process Last?
The teething process usually lasts until a child is about three years old, as this is when they have their entire set of main teeth.
Sign Of a Teething Baby
Some sign of a teething baby is given below:
- Excessive drooling
- Irritation and fussiness
- Chewing on object
- Red or swollen gums
- Disturbed sleep pattern
Best Teething Relief Strategies
Chilled Teething Toys
- Offering cold teething toys is one of the best strategies to relieve pain from teething.
- The discomfort feels calm and gum inflammation is reduced by the chilly temperature.
- Make sure the teething toys are secure and created especially for this function.
Gentle Gum Massage
- Massaging your baby’s gum with a clean finger gives relief.
- The gentle pressure relieves the discomfort and can be quite comforting for your little ones.
- You might also gently massage their gums with a soft, damp washcloth.
- Teething rings made from safe materials can also be useful.
- Teething rings are made to be chewed, offering counter pressure that reduces the pain of erupted teeth.
Teething Biscuits And Cold Foods
- For older infants, teething biscuits and cold pureed food can be provided with adult supervision.
- These can provide relief for their painful gums in addition to acting as a distraction.
Over-The-Counter Teething Gels
- There are over-the-counter teething gels available that can temporarily freeze the gums and reduce the pain.
- It’s crucial to follow the pediatrician’s instructions when using these gels and to stay away from items that contain harmful components.
- It relieves baby teething pain.
Natural Teething Remedies
- Some parents prefer using natural therapies, like chamomile tea or ginger root, which have anti-inflammatory characteristics and can ease teething pain.
- However, before using any natural cure, always consult with a healthcare professional.
Massage Techniques For Teething Babies
Face And Jaw Massage
- Gently massaging your baby’s cheeks, jaw, and thin can help to relieve stress and discomfort.
- Use small circle motions with your fingertips and make sure your touch is gentle and soothing.
- This massage is useful during the period of baby teething.
Necks And Shoulder Massage
- Due to the discomfort of teething, babies can keep tension in their necks and shoulders.
- These areas can be gently massaged to encourage relaxation and ease any tension in the muscles.
- This can be helpful in baby teething.
- Gentle back rubs can be comforting and help your baby feel relaxed during the teething period.
- Create a relaxing atmosphere while massaging their back with soft touches.
Using Teething Tablets Safely
Teething tablets are another alternative for relieving a baby’s teething pain. These baby-friendly tablets dissolve in the mouth and offer temporary relief. However, it’s important to use them carefully and according to the recommended dosage. Always consult with a pediatrician before using any teething pills, and only choose products that are free from harmful ingredients.
How To Manage Fever During Teething?
Baby teething is sometimes accompanied by fever, but it’s important to treat it properly. If your baby is teething and has a slight fever, you can try the following:
- Keep the room at an appropriate temperature and avoid covering the infant too tightly.
- Dress your baby in light, breathable cloth.
- Make sure enough fluids are available to keep them hydrated throughout this time.
- To help them cool down, gently wipe their armpits, neck, and forehead with a damp cloth and sponge.
- If your infant continues to have a fever or showing any other disturbing symptoms, consult with a healthcare professional.
How To Manage Excessive Drooling During Teething?
During the baby’s teething process, excessive drooling is normal.
To handle it:
- To frequently wipe your baby’s chin, keep soft, absorbent clothes or bibs available.
- Keep your baby clothes dry by using a teething bib with a built in drool catcher.
- Ensure your baby stays well-hydrated to balance the loss of fluid due to drooling.
- Gently apply petroleum jelly or barrier cream on your baby’s chin and neck to stop irritation from drool.
Baby teething may be a difficult period for both parents and babies, but it can be made more manageable with the appropriate techniques. Understanding the teething process and using safe and effective teething relief strategies can help your baby get through this period with minimal discomfort. Remember to always give priority to safety and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any difficulty.
Can Teething Cause Fever?
If your infant has a fever, you should get in touch with a medical professional. Teething might cause minor irritation and a slight rise in body temperature, but it should not produce a high fever.
Can Teething Cause Diarrhea?
Although some infant’s stools may change as a result of consuming more saliva. Severe diarrhea is not a direct teething symptom.
Are Teething Gels Safe To Use?
Teething gels can offer temporary relief but it’s important to follow the doctor’s instructions while using them. Always choose secure products because some gels may contain harmful ingredients.
How Can I Make Teething More Comfortable For My Baby At Night?
You can try using frozen teething toys or a cold cloth before bedtime to help comfort their gums. Make sure they are sleeping in a safe posture, and if they are in a lot of pain, call your doctor.
Does Teething Pain Stop?
Yes, the pain usually becomes better as each tooth pierces the gum. But keep in mind that until all the primary teeth erupt, teething will continue.
When should I See A Doctor?
Consult a doctor if your baby’s symptoms are severe, serious, or associated with a high temperature or other disturbing symptom.
Writer, Child Development Specialist
Nutritional Needs for Growing Children
Picky Eater Strategies
Effective Communication Techniques
Inclusive Education Techniques
Preparing Kids for School Transitions
Founder and Head of Content Strategy for Parenting and Childcare with a specialized focus on nutritional needs for growing children and picky eater strategies.
Holds a Master’s degree in Child Development from Queens University.
Certified in Precision Nutrition, Child Development Associate, and New Parent Education.
Hannah Miller, M.Ed., combines academic insights with real-life parenting experience in her writing. Maria crafts articles on topics such as effective communication techniques, inclusive education, and preparing kids for school transitions that resonate deeply with parents and parents-to-be. She offers invaluable resources based on her extensive education, training, and firsthand experience as a parent. In her spare time, Maria enjoys hiking trails and experimenting in the kitchen with culinary delights.